A few days ago Fogra published the characterisation data for the new printing standards Fogra56 and Fogra57 while ECI provided the respective ICC profiles for download on the eci.org website.
FOGRA56 and FOGRA57 are the separation and printing standards for matte and glossy film lamination of “PSO Coated v3” / Fogra51 prints.
At Proof.de, with regard to the two predecessor standards Fogra49 and Fogra50 for glossy and matte film lamination of ISOCoatedV2 / Fogra39 prints, the majority of inquiries were for the standard for matte film lamination only, as this is where the greater and more difficult effects occur with regard to colour changes due to the lamination process. Particularly in the area of colour-critical prints, such as catalogues for the automotive industry, extensive tests are sometimes carried out with different film laminations in order to be able to recognise and compensate for differences between a normal matte film lamination and a scratch-resistant matte OPP lamination, for example. We also expect a higher demand for consulting and proofing for Fogra56 and Fogra57 for matte film lamination.
The European Colour Initiative ECI states on its website that the differences between different glossy films are rather small, while matte films are available in very different opacities. According to the ECI, the “average” matte film used as a reference in FOGRA56 leads to a lightening of ∆L* = 6 in the black solid tone and fits well with typical production. The lightening is lower with more transparent foils and higher with matte foils. In order to be able to assess one’s own films, the ECI recommends measuring the black solid tone before and after finishing on the same field on the same sheet.
You can download the new finishing profiles here from the ECI or from Proof.de. You can find the matching characterisation data here on the Fogra pages.
Fogra56 / PSO Coated V3 Matte Laminate
The ECI offset profile PSO_Coated_v3_Matte_laminate.icc is based on the characterisation file “FOGRA56.txt” and applies to the following printing conditions according to the international standard ISO12647-2:2013:
- Commercial offset, premium coated paper, dot gain curve 2013-A, followed by matte film lamination (typical OPP matte film 15 μm with medium opacity ~70%, i.e. lightening ΔL* = 6 on black solid after finishing), white measuring base.
- The profile is consistent with the PSOcoated_v3.icc profile and shows the matching glossy finished result.
- The profile was calculated using Heidelberg ColorToolbox 2019 with the following settings: Black length 9 (insertion point 10%), Black width 10, max. area coverage 300%, max. black 96%.
Fogra57 / PSO Coated V3 Glossy Laminate
The ECI offset profile PSO_Coated_v3_Glossy_laminate.icc is based on the characterisation file “FOGRA57.txt” and applies to the following printing conditions according to the international standard ISO12647-2:2013:
- Commercial offset, premium coated paper, dot gain curve 2013-A, followed by glossy film lamination (typical OPP glossy film 12-15 μm), white measuring pad.
- The profile is consistent with the PSOcoated_v3.icc profile and shows the matching gloss finished result.
- The profile calculation was done with Heidelberg ColorToolbox 2019 with the following settings: Black length 9 (insertion point 10%) , Black width 10, max. area coverage 300%, max. black 96%.
Proofs according to Fogra56 and Fogra57 for matt film laminated or glossy film laminated prints according to Fogra51 can now be ordered directly in the Proof Shop at shop.proof.de.